Saturday, March 29, 2014

Tips for photographing your little ones




We have all been there, trying to get some great photos of our kids. Heck even one would be nice where they are all looking! Whether you have one child or five, here are some of my tips to get better photos of your children:


1: Dont be so serious-
This is probably the best advice I can give you. I know myself and I get a little stressed when doing photos of my son. My daughter is a breeze.. she's also not mobile yet. My stress, I can tell affects his attitude when doing photos. So I try to make it fun for him. I act silly, make jokes, even make extremely obnoxious noises, boys love that sort of thing. Have them tell you jokes! Kids think their knock knock jokes are HILARIOUS. Bottom line they will laugh, they will have fun and you will get some great photos because of it.



2: No Shoes No Shirt No Problem-
Yes, I photograph my kids half dressed most of the time. Why? Well at home they are that way most of the time... am I alone in this? Also, they just are more comfortable. Sometimes clothing is just not necessary. If its my daughter I throw a cute diaper cover on or a fluffy tutu. My son is in shorts or jeans. Hats are always cute and of course bows, or headbands for your little ladies. But don't over think it. Don't drive to JCPenny and buy a whole new wardrobe for them, unless you really want to I guess. While yes clothing is adorable, its also stinkin pricey!!! Not to mention it makes photos more timeless. Lets face it, fads and styles come and go.  So in those warm months, or if you are indoors just let them be & keep it simple momma!!


3: Less is more-
Props are great I LOVE them, they can make my photo session amazing and really add that flair I am looking for. However in the days of Pinterest things can be over whelming and just a bit much sometimes. Don't feel you need to style this whole set up to take your kids photos. Just as simple as them reading their favorite book is adorable. Here are some more simple ideas: bath time, on the swing, playing outside, playing dress up, baking cookies, playing legos, pretend tea parties.. I could go on and on!! Basically capture them being little, and being themselves.

4: Get down on their level-
Sometimes changing the angle you take a photo can turn it into a completely different photo. Lay on your belly with your camera. Or just sit on the floor and be eye level with them.


5: The B word-
Yes we all do it from time to time, Bribery! It works. If you have a stubborn one, like me, and they refuse to smile or pose for you. My son seems to always be crabby when I want to take photos of him. So I have to give him incentives. Happy Meals, a special treat, a movie they can pick out at the video store, I mean do what works for you.

(Happy meal bribery happening right here)

6: Know their limits-
We all know our kiddos get to a point where they are just done. When this happens don't keep pushing them for more poses and smiles. It will result in a tantrum or meltdown, neither are recommended. So for your sanity, take a step back and don't push them too far.

7: CHEESE!!!
First of all I hate cheese, the food that is. But I also don't care for that word when I'm at a session or when I'm photographing any child. Think about it, what do you get when you say: "SAY CHEESE!" A really cheesy, goofy, fake, smile right? How about go back up to #1 and tell them a joke or have them tell you a joke. Those real genuine smiles are what look great in camera. I personally am a fan of serious little faces just staring into the camera. A little trick I do with my son is I say do you love me? He of course says yes, and I say will you tell me? So he looks at my camera and says, "I love you mommy". BAM you have a sincere adorable little face. If I'm at a session I will be a little less mushy with my clients and ask the child a question they have to think about. That little thinking face is still just as serious and adorable.


I hope some of these things help you out or give you some new ideas for the next time you take your little ones photos. 
-Cassie   


No comments:

Post a Comment